October 29, 2005

Dubai trip 231005-281005

My shitty Dubai trip.

On the first night we're there, my friend, C, stepped on cat (or dog.. I'm not sure) shit. Second night, my friend, C again, stepped on camel shit. On the third night, that stupid pigeon shit fell right on my shoulder while I was walking along the Gold Souk. Maybe because I laughed too much at C, that I got punished. But one thing is for sure, the shits are smelly. Darn smelly.

First night, dinner at this Indian restaurant. Chicken tikka anyone? I guess it's too spicy for me that I didn't really enjoy it.

Second day, went for desert trip. Cool. The four-wheel drive actually when up and down the sand slopes. Everyone in the car was screaming happily for the first half hour until both my friends started to feel sick with the motion. They almost puked in the car. But I am all for it! I don't mind doing it again. Then I tried sand boarding and camel riding. Even tried out the black color outfit for ladies in the region. Well, you know, those all covered up outfit. Then we have camel riding in the evening, arabian-styled dinner and henna painting. All under the stars in the desert.

Third day we were supposed to go to Burj al-Arab Hotel but it was postponed to the fifth day because we will not be able to make it for dinner in the city if we went to the hotel. So after dinner we went the spice souk (spice market) but it was all closed because it's Ramadhan. So we walked to the Gold Souk (where I get that bird shit on my shoulder). The whole stretch of street is filled with gold. Every where I look is gold, gold, gold. Too bad I'm broke.

Fourth day we had to work so we decided not to go anywhere or do anything but hibernate in the room until it's time for us to work.

Fifth day woke up early in the morning, (the day before we came back from work about 2am) and off we go to the souk madinat jumeirah, which is the complex next to the Burj al-arab hotel. Beautiful I would say. The interiors and the architecture, I would say it's different from what I usually see in other countries. Open spaces, small light wells on the ceiling, complicated floor plan which spiderwebs most of the shops. I'm impressed, but definitely not a wow. We went to the beach next to the Burj al-arab hotel, and the scenery is spectacular. But the hotel actually looked quite short. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me because of the relatively fat-bodied structure. None the less, one item on my wishlist is ticked off (although we didn't manage to enter the hotel because we need reservations and pay a lot of $$$). At least I'm still able to say that 'been there, done that'. Haha..

We had this really great lunch in the chinese restaurant in souk madinat jumeirah. Surprisingly the food is real good. Or maybe it's just because all of us has been deprived of chinese food for the past few days. Been having curry and spices the whole trip.

So, what can I say? Lovely trip, except for the shitty encounter C and I had.

No comments: